Pharmacology Department Medical Faculty of Islamic Indonesian University (FK UII) Yogyakarta Corresponden : Kaliurang Street Km 14,5 Sleman 55584 Yogyakarta Office : (0274) 898444 psw 2096; Fax (0274) 898444 psw 2007 Mobile : 081 328 470 270 - Indonesia
Aspirin as a Chemopreventive Agent for Cancer: a New Hope?
Introduction: inflammation has been shown to play a major role in the pathogenesis of cancer. Inflammatory process activates the immune system through pro-inflammatory mediators and subsequent triggers transformation into malignant cells. Some tumors or cancers has been associated with chronic infections, such as hepatitis B and C viruses (hepatocellular carcinoma), human papilloma virus (cervical cancer), Helicobacter pylori (gastric cancer and lymphoma), and prostatitis (prostate cancer). A considerable study have investigated the benefits of aspirin for the prevention and treatment of cancer or tumors. Objectives: This paper aims to describe the relationship between inflammation and cancer incidence, so that use of aspirin as an anti-inflammatory agent is a rational choice in the treatment and prevention of cancer. Conclusion: Aspirin potential for chemoprevention of various types of cancer. Considering the high risk of side effects of aspirin, aspirin is not intended as a routine therapy to prevent the occurrence of cancer.
Keywords : Inflammation; Cancer; Aspirin
- Akre K, Ekstrom AM, Signorello LB, Hanson LE, Nyren O. Aspirin and risk for gastric cancer: a population-based case-control study in Sweden. British J Cancer 2001; 84: 965–968.
- Antonoff MB, D’Cunha J. Killing Two Birds With One Salicylate: Aspirin’s Dual Roles in Preventative Health. Semin Thoracic Surg 2011; 23:96-98.
- Bambace NM, Holmes CE. The platelet contribution to cancer progression. J Thromb Haemostasis 2011; 9: 237-249
- Barton MK. Daily Aspirin Reduces Colorectal Cancer Incidence in Patients With Lynch Syndrome. cA: A Cancer J for Clinicians 2012; 62: 143-144. doi:10.3322/caac.21136
- Bosetti C, Gallus S, La Vecchia C. Aspirin and Cancer Risk: A Summary Review to 2007. In : Hans-Jörg Senn et al.. (Eds.), Cancer Prevention II. Recent Results in Cancer Research 181, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-69297-3. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2009
- Brasky TM, Potter JD, Kristal AR, Patterson RE, Peters U, Asgari MM, Thornquist MD, White E. Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Cancer Incidence by Sex in the Vitamins And Lifestyle (VITAL) Cohort. Cancer Causes Control 2012; 23: 431-444. doi:10.1007/s10552-011-9891-8.
- Chan AT. Aspirin and familial adenomatous polyposis: coming full circle. Cancer Prev Res 2011; 4: 623-7
- Chang ET, Zheng T, Weir EG, Borowitz M, Mann RB, Spiegelman D, Mueller NE. Aspirin and the Risk of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in a Population-Based Case. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 305–15
- Chattopadhyay M, Kodela R, Nath N, Barsegian A, Boring D, Kashfi K. Hydrogen sulﬁde-releasing aspirin suppresses NF-kB signaling in estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Bichem Pharmacol 2012; 83: 723-732
- Coghill AE, Adams SV, Newcomb PA, Campbell PT, Poole EM, Potter JD, Burnett-Hartman AN, Ulrich CM. Prediagnostic Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use and survival after diagnosis of colorectal cancer. Gut 2011; 60: 491–498. doi:10.1136/gut.2010.221143.
- Deng S, Hu B, Shen KP, Xu L. Inflammation, macrophage in cancer progression, dan Chinese herbal medicine. J Basic and Clin Pharm 2012; 3: 269-272
- Din FVN, Theodoratou E, Barnetson RA, Campbell H, Farrington SM, Cetnarsky R, Dunlop MG, Stark L, Tenesa A, Porteus ME. Effect of aspirin and NSAIDs on risk and survival from colorectal cancer. Gut (2010). doi:10.1136/gut.2009.203000
- Dinarello CA. Anti-inflammatory agents: Present and future. Cell 2010; 140: 935-950
- Epplein M, Nomura AMY, Wilkens LR, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN. Nonsteroidal Antiinﬂammatory Drugs and Risk of Gastric Adenocarcinoma, The Multiethnic Cohort Study. Am J Epid 2009; 170. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwp162
- Fontaine E, McShane J, Page R, Shackcloth M, Mediratta N, Carr M, Soorae A, Poullis M. Aspirin and non-small cell lung cancer resections: effect on long-term survival. Eur J Cardio-thoracic Surg 2010; 38: 21-26
- Gu Q, Wang JD, Xia HHX, Lin MCM, He H, Zou B, Tu SP, Yang Y, Liu XG, Lam SK, Wong WM, Chan AOO, Yuen MF, Kung HF, Wong BCY. Activation of the caspase-8/Bid and Bax pathways in aspirin-induced apoptosis in gastric cancer. Carcinogenesis 2005; 26: 541-- 546. doi:10.1093/carcin/bgh345
- Holmes MD, Chen WY, Lisa L, Hertzmark E, Spiegelman D, Hankinson SE. Aspirin Intake and Survival After Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 1467-1472
- Hur C, Nishioka NS, Gazelle S. Cost-Effectiveness of Aspirin Chemoprevention for Barrett’s Esophagus. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 316 –25
- Khuder SA, Herial NA, Mutgi AB, Federman DJ. Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drug Use and Lung Cancer, A Metaanalysis. CHEST 2005; 127:748–754
- Lai MY, Huang JA, Liang ZH, Jiang HX, Tang GD. Mechanisms underlying aspirin-mediated growth inhibition and apoptosis induction of cyclooxygenase-2 negative colon cancer cell line SW480. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14: 4227-4233
- Manzano A, Perez-Segura P. Chemoprevention in sporadic colorectal cancer: the role of Salycilates, NSAIDs, and Coxibs. J Cancer Sci Ther 2011; S3. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/1948-5956.S3-005
- Moossavi S, Bishehsari F. Inflammation in sporadic colorectal cancer. Arch Iran Med 2012; 15: 166-170
- Rothwell PM, Jacqueline FP, Fowkes FGR, Zanchetti A, Roncaglioni MC, Tognoni G, et al.. Short-term eff ects of daily aspirin on cancer incidence, mortality, and non-vascular death: analysis of the time course of risks and benefits in 51 randomised controlled trials. Published on line at www.thelancet.com. 2012a. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61720-0
- Rothwell PM, Wilson M, Elwin CE, Norrving B, Algra A, Warlow CP, Meade TW. Long-term effect of aspirin on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: 20-year follow-up of five randomised trials. Lancet 2010; 376: 1741–50
- Rothwell PM, Wilson M, Price JF, Belch JF, Meade TW, Mehta Z. Effect of daily aspirin on risk of cancer metastasis: a study of incident cancers during randomised controlled trials. Lancet 2012b: doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60209-8
- Rothwell RM, Fowkes FGR, Belch JF, Ogawa H, Warlow CP, Meade TW. Effect of daily aspirin on long-term risk of death due to cancer: analysis of individual patient data from randomised trials. Lancet 2011; 377: 31-41. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(10)62110-1
- Roy V. Pharmacology Autacoids: Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs, Antipyretics, Analgesics: Drugs used in Gout. 2007. www.nsdl.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/744/1/revised+autacoids+nonsteroidal+antiinflammatory+drugs.pdf. Diakses pada 19 Oktober 2012.
- Shiao SL, Ganesan P, Rugo HS, Coussens LM. Immune microenvironments in solid tumors: new targets for therapy. Genes Dev. 2011; 25: 2559-2572
- Trinchieri G. Innate inflammation and cancer: is it time for cancer prevention? F1000 Medicine Reports 2011; 3. doi: 10.3410/M3-11. http://f1000.com/reports/m/3/11
- Vane JR, Botting RM. The mechanism of action of aspirin. Thromb Res 2003; 110: 255-58
- Wang WH, Huang JQ, Zheng GF, Lam SK, Karlberg J, Wong BCY. Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug Use and The Risk of Gastric Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta Analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95: 1784 –91
- Williams J, Ji P, Ouyang N, Liu X, Rigas B. NO-donating aspirin inhibits the activation of NF-kB in human cancer cell lines and Min mice. Carcinogenesis 2008; 29: 390–397. doi:10.1093/carcin/bgm275
- Xiong S, She H, Takeuchi H, Han B, Engelhardt JF, Barton CH, et al.. Signalling role of intracellular iron in NFB activation. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 17646-17654
- Zhu Z, Shen Z, Xu C. Inflammatory pathways as promising targets to increase chemotherapy response in bladder cancer. Mediators of Inflammation. 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/528690
- Zingde SM. Cancer Genes. Current Sciences 2001; 81:508-514
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.