Postgraduate of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Andalas University, Padang, Indonesia - Indonesia
Factors Related to HIV/AIDS Prevention Behavior Among Female Sex Workers in Padang in 2018
Background: HIV/AIDS has a huge risk transmitted through sexual intercourse with multiple partners, including Female from Sexual Workers and customers due to perform unsafe sexual behavior. The increasing prevalence of HIV/AIDS among female sex workers in Indonesia related to the health prevention behaviors were too low.
Objective: To determine the factors related to the behavior of HIV/AIDS prevention at the FSW.
Methods: This study uses a quantitative approach by the cross-sectional design. Researchers took a sample of 50 female sex workers in Padang using Consecutive Sampling method. Analysis of the data in this study using univariate, bivariate, and multivariate analyzes.
Results: Results showed 66% of FSW have a good preventive behavior, there is a significant relationship between education (p= 0.024), knowledge (p= 0.002), attitude (p= 0.0001), specificity (p= 0.006), support fellow of FSW (p= 0.027), and support officers (p= 0.013) to conduct HIV/AIDS prevention at the FSW. Whereas the availability of condoms, access to information and support pimps have no meaningful relationship to the behavior of HIV/AIDS prevention. The most dominant factor related to the behavior of HIV/AIDS prevention is the attitude (OR= 82.877 CI: 7.717-89.079).
Conclusion: Factors in themselves greatly influence the behavior of female sex workers in preventing HIV/AIDS coupled with the support of the closest people such as friends, pimps, and officers who make female sex workers feel comfortable and feel cared for.
Keywords : Sexual; FSW; Customers; Condoms.
- Anggraeni, N. K. N. (2015). Factors Contributing to Preventive Behavior of HIV/AIDS among Adolescents Sekaa Teruna Teruni Member in Blahkiuh Village in 2015. Bali: Udayana University.
- Ashariani, S. (2016). Factors Associated with Condom Use in Women Sexual Workers for the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the Mentari Clinic in the Panjang Bandar Lampung Health Center. Lampung: Lampung University.
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. (2004). HIV AIDS Surveillance Report [Online]. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/statistics_2004_hiv_surv eillance_report_vol_16.pdf (Accessed: 29 March 2018)
- Commission of HIV/AIDS Prevention in Padang City. (2017). Key Population. Padang.
- Dewi, M., & Wawan, A. (2010). Theory and Measurement of Knowledge of Attitudes and Human Behavior. Yogyakarta: Nuha Medika.
- DG. Of Disease Control and Environmental Health. (2017). Ministry of Health’s Latest Report on HIV / AIDS, March 2017. Jakarta.
- Djoerban, Z. (2000). HIV Virus: In A Book Targeting AIDS Efforts to Understand HIV and PLWHA. Yogyakarta: Galang Press Yogyakarta dan Yayasan Memajukan Ilmu Penyakit Dalam.
- Evrinarti, R. (2015). Female Sex Workers Behavior Analysis in the Prevention of STI, HIV, and AIDS in Massage Parlor in East Jakarta. Jakarta: Respati Indonesia of University.
- Fadhali, A. (2012). Relating Factors to HIV and AIDS Prevention Among Waiters Cafe in Bira Beach Bulukamba. Makassar: Hasanuddin University.
- Green, C. W. (2013). HIV and TB. Jakarta: Yayasan Spitiria.
- Hidayati, I. N. (2011). Attitudes of Female Sex Workers Against Condom Use in Yogyakarta Flower Market. Yogyakarta: ’Aisyiyah Yogyakarta University.
- Kambu, Y. (2012). Analysis of factors influencing the act of HIV transmision prevention by people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) in Sorong. Jakarta: Indonesia of University.
- Lubis, S., & Krianto, T. (2013). Effect of Extension on Knowledge, Attitudes, and Family Resilience in Preventing HIV / AIDS in Riau Pekanbaru. Jakarta: Faculty of Public Health University of Indonesia.
- Notoatmodjo, S. (2007). Health and Behavioral Sciences. Jakarta: PT. Rineka Cipta.
- Notoatmodjo, S. (2010). Health Behavior Sciences. Jakarta: PT. Rineka Cipta.
- Public Health Office of Padang City. (2017). Health Profil of Padang City in 2017. Padang.
- Public Health Office of Province West Sumatera. (2016). Health Profil of Province West Sumatera in 2016. Public Health Office of Province West Sumatera.
- Purnamawati, D. (2013). Behavioral Prevention of Sexual Transmitted Disease among Direct Female Sex Workers. National Public Health Journal, 7(11), 514–521.
- Ratnaningsih, D. (2015). Factors Affecting Behavior on HIV/AIDS Prevention in Female Sex Workers. Surakarta: Sebelas Maret University.
- Sianturi, S. A. (2013). The Relationship Between Predisposing, Supporting, And Rein- forcing Factors And The Use Of Condom Among Commercial Sex Workers In Preventing HIV/AIDS At Serdang Bedagai District. Jurnal Precure, 1(1), 1–7.
- Simarmata, O. S. (2010). Threat of HIV in Adolescents in Tanah Papua, 2006. Indonesian Journal of Health Ecology, 9(3), 1274–1281.
- WHO. (2016). Fact Sheet HIV/AIDS [Online]. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs360/en/ (Accessed: 12 January 2018)
- Yustina, K. I. (2010). Bargaining Ability of Commercial Sex Workers in the Use of Condoms to Prevent Transmission of HIV / AIDS on Trans-Sumatra Roads in Langkat Regency North Sumatra Province. Journal of Berita Kedokteran Masyarakat, 1(26), 22–28.
Metrics powered by PLOS ALM