Medical Faculty of Sultan Agung Islamic University - Indonesia
Pattern and Frequency of Skin Malignancies at Laboratory of Pathology Anatomy Dr. Kariadi General Hospital in 2008-2009
Method: A cross-sectional study was conducted through analysis of the medical records of patients diagnosed skin lesion in the pathology labolatory of RSUD Kariadi between 2008 and 2009. The variables were secondary data including age, gender, specimen area, dan histopathology diagnosis. Data was choosen by consecutive sampling from 381 medical records of skin tissues examined at laboratorium of pathology anatomy of Dr. Kariadi general hospital during 2008-2009.
Result: 381 cases were recorded comprising of 246 (65%) neoplastic and 135 (35%) non neoplastic lesion. 120 patients presented with skin cancer, and 126 with benign skin lesion. Most malignancy was observed among female patients (62.5%) on age catagory of 15-39 (65%). The most common lesion was basal cell carcinoma (48.3%) followed by squamous cell carcinoma (33.3%), malignant melanoma (10%), skin appendix carcinoma (2.5%), other malignancies (4.9%).
Conclusion: the most common malignancies in Dr. Kariadi general hospital before 2008 was similar to data from 13 laboratory of pathology anatomy in Indonesia, which is squamous cell carcinoma.
Keywords : skin lession; neoplastic and non neoplastic lession
- Abbas F, Kumar V.,2007, Robin basis pathology of disease, Philadhelpia L: Saunder Elsiever
- American Cancer Society, 2012, Cancer Facts & Figures 2012, http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-031941.pdF Accessed January 17.
- Bleyer A, O’Leary M, Barr R, Ries LAG (eds)., 2006,Cancer epidemiology in older adolescents and young adults 15 to 29 years of age, including SEER incidence and survival: 1975-2000. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute.
- Criscione, VD, Weinstock, MA, Naylor, MF, Luque, C, Eide, MJ and Bingham, SF.,2009, Actinic keratoses natural history and risk of malignant transformation in the Veterans Affairs Tropical Tretinoin Chemoprevention Trial. Cancer ; 115: 2523-30.
- Christenson LJ, Borrowman TA, Vachon CM, et al., 2005, Incidence of basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas in a population younger than 40 years. JAMA 2005; 294(6):681-90.
- Cress RD, Holly EA., 1997, Incidence of cutaneous melanoma among non-Hispanic whites, Hispanics, Asians, and blacks: an analysis of California cancer registry data, 1988-93. Cancer Cause Control 1997; 8:246-52.
- Departemen Kesehatan RI. 2008. Profil Kesehatan Indonesia. Diakses dari http://www.depkes.co.id, on 13 Mei 2010.
- Departemen Kesehatan RI. 2009. Profil Kesehatan Indonesia. Diakses dari http://www.depkes.co.id, on 13 Mei 2010.
- Esteve J, Benhamou E, Raymond L.,1994, Deskriptive epidemiology. Statistical methods in cancer research. IARCH. Lyon.
- Elder D, Johnson BJ, Elinitsas R., 2005, Lever’s Histopathology of Skin. 9th edition. Lipincot William and Wilkins Departement of health and human services. Nevada
- Health State Division. Skin Cancer profil, 2006. Available from http://health.nv.gov/PDFs/skincan.pdf, on Mei 14 th 2010.
- Lange J, Palis BE, Chang DEC, Soong S, Balch CM. Melanoma in Children and Teenagers: An Analysis of Patients from the National Cancer Data Base. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:1363-8.
- Lebolt.P.E., Burg G., Weedon.D., Sarasin. A., 2005, Pathology genetic of skin tumors. In WHO clasification of tumors. IARC press: Lyon
- Lloyd H.W., 2009, Skin Cancer in African-Americans http://www.skintypesolutions.com/index.php?option=com_article&view=article&id=201. Cited on 12 Oktober 2012.
- Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al (eds)., 2012, SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009 (Vintage 2009 Populations). Bethesda, MD: National CancerInstitute; http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2009_pops09/; Accessed August 22, 2012
- Schwarts R.A., 2008, Skin Cancer Recognition and Management, Second edition, Blackwell publishing, Massachusett.
- Sneyd MJ, Cox B., 2009, Melanoma in Maori, Asian, and Pacific Peoples in New Zealand, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev., 18:1706-13. http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/6/1706.full.html#ref-list-1. cited on 1 Nov 2012.
- Singh B, Bhaya M, Shaha A., 1998, Presentation, course and outcome of head and neck cancer in African American: a case-control study. Laryngoscope. 1159-63.
- Rogers H.W., Weinstock M.A, Harris A.R., et al., 2006, Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States, Arch Dermatol 2010; 146(3):283-7.
- World Health Organization, 2006, International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. Second edition. Vol. 1. Geneva.