Medical Faculty of Sultan Agung Islamic University (UNISSULA) Semarang Citta Arunika Risyudhanti, Jalan Villa Aster 1 Srondol Asri blok P-1 Semarang, Jawa Tengah. - Indonesia
Correlation Analysis Study between Hearing Loss Occurence and Duration of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Sultan Agung Islamic Hospital Semarang
Introduction: Hearing impairment due to cochlear damage is one complication of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (DM2). Objective: This study aims to determine the relationship between duration of DM2 with hearing impairment.Method: The analytic observasional study with the cross sectional design using the medical record of DM2 outpatient in internal clinic of Islamic Sultan Agung Hospital Semarang and also pure tone audiometric examinationâ€™s record in Otorynolaryngology clinic of Islamic Sultan Agung Hospital Semarang.31 medical records of DM2 patients were meeting the inclusion and exclusion criteria. The data consist of 18 medical records of patients with less than6 years duration of DM2, and 13 medical records of patients with more than 6 years duration of DM2. The pure tone audiometry was used to classified the hearing impairment. The data analysis was conducted using SPSS 20.0. The correlation between the duration of DM2 and hearing impairment was analyzed using Chi Square test. The significance relation between the duration of DM type 2 and hearing impairment was analyzed using cooficient contigency, with significance of < 0.05. Result: hearing impairmentâ€™s distribution frequency on tested ears in Sultan agung Islamic Hospital Semarang were 27 ears having SNHL type (43,5%), 19 ears having CHL (30,6%) and 16 ears were normal (25,8%), p = 0,02 (p < 0,05). Conclusion: There is a weak correlation between the DM 2 duration and the incidence of hearing impairment in Sultan Agung Islamic Hospital Semarang.
Keywords : Diabetes Mellitus; Sensory Neural Hearing Loss
- Austin, D.F., Martin, D.K., McMilan, G.P., 2009, Diabetes-Related Change in Hearing: The Laryngoscope;119: 1788-96.
- Bainbridge, K.E., Hoffman, H.J., Cowie, C.C., 2008, Diabetes and Hearing Impairment in the United States: Audiometric Evidence from the National
- Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2004. Annals of Internal Medicine 149 (1) : 1
- Dalton, D.S., Cruickshanks, K.J., Klein, B.E.K., Klein, R.,Wiley, T.L., Nondahl, D.M., 2003, The Impact of Hearing Loss on Quality of Life in Older Adults. Gerontologist. 2003;43 (5):661-668.
- Derek, J.H., 2012, Hearing Tests by ADA Reveal Link Between Diabetes and Hearing Loss: Henry Ford Detroit Hospital.
- Fukushima, H., Coreuglu, S., Schachern, P.A., aparella,M.M., Harada, T., Oktay,M.F.,2006, The Effects of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Human Cochlear, American Medical Association
- Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia, 2009, Tahun 2030 Prevalensi Diabetes Mellitus Di Indonesia Mencapai 21,3 Juta Orang. Cited on 20 Desember 2012
- Lipkin, A., 2009, Hearing loss-Overview, University of Maryland Medical Centre. Cited on 20 Desember 2012.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)/National Diabetes Information Cleaning house, 2008, Diabetes Overview. Cited on 20 Desember 2012.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2008, Hearing Loss Is Twice As Common In People With Diabetes Compared To Those Without The Disease. Science Daily. Cited on 15 April 2013
- Sakuta, H., Suzuki, T., Yasuda, H., 2007, Type 2 Diabetes and Hearing Loss in Personnel of The Self-Defense Forces, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice;75: 229-34.
- Silver, R., 2012, Invisible: My Journey Through Vision and Hearing Loss, United States of America: Liberty Drive
- Stratton, I.M., Adler, A.L., Andrew, N., 2000, Association of Glycemia with Macrovaskular and Microvaskular Complications of type 2 Diabetes : Prospective Study, BMJ, 321: 405
- Utomo, M., 1999, Penurunan Pendengaran Pada Penderita Diabetes Mellitus Tidak Tergantung Insulin., Yogyakarta., Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Gadjah Mada.
- Votey, S.R., Peters, A.L.,2008, Diabetes Mellitus Type 2- A Review, Emergency Medicine, UCLA.
- Waspadji,S., 2009, Komplikasi Kronik Diabetes: Mekanisme Terjadinya, Diagnosis dan Strategi Pengelolaan. Dalam Buku Ajar Ilmu Penyakit Dalam, Jilid III edisi ke-5. Jakarta: Pusat Penerbit Ilmu Penyakit Dalam FKUI:1922-29.
- World Health Organization, 2010, Diabetes Programme: Country and regional data. Cited on 20 Desember 2012.
Metrics powered by PLOS ALM