Master Program of Biomedic, Medical Faculty, UNISSULA, Semarang - Indonesia
Difference in the Levels of Ferritin, Hemoglobin, and Erythrocyte Count of Stage 5 Chronic Kidney Disease Patients after One, Three and Six Months of Hemodialysis
DIFFERENCE IN THE LEVELS OF FERRITIN, HEMOGLOBIN, AND ERYTHROCYTE COUNT OF STAGE 5 CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE PATIENTS AFTER ONE, THREE AND SIX MONTHS OF HEMODIALYSIS
INTRODUCTION: 77,892 chronic kidney disease patients in Indonesia undergo hemodialysis in 2017. However, the effects of period of undergoing hemodialysis on hemoglobin level, erythrocyte count, and ferritin level are still unclear.
OBJECTIVE: This research aims at examining the effects of period of undergoing hemodialysis on the levels of ferritin, hemoglobin, and erythrocyte count of stage 5 of chronic kidney disease patients.
METHODS: In the analytical observational research with a cross sectional design, 30 men meet the inclusion criteria and are randomly divided into 3 groups: one month group (1M-G), three months group (3M-G), and six months group (6M-G). Each of the research objects has undergone hemodialysis for one, three and six months. The levels of ferritin, hemoglobin, and erythrocyte count are analyzed with an immunoflourescence method.
RESULTS: The Post Hoc LSD analysis states that the ferritin levels of 3M-G (718±63.61) and 6M-G (947±66.22) are significantly higher than that of 1M-G (383.77), p< 0.01. The ferritin level of 6M-G is significantly higher than that of 3M-G, p<0.01. The hemoglobin levels and erythrocyte counts between 1M-G (9.45±0.84) & (3.26±0.55), 3M-G (9.10±1.22) & (3.21±0.50) and 6M-G (8.35±1.21) & (2.92±0.40) are insignificant, p>0.05.
CONCLUSION: After undergoing hemodialysis for three and six months, the ferritin levels improve significantly compared to that of one month of hemodialysis, and there is no significant difference in hemoglobin levels and erythrocyte counts.
Keywords: Hemodialysis; Ferritin; Erythrocyte; Hemoglobin.
- Babitt, J.L., Lin, H.Y., 2012. Mechanisms of Anemia in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol 23, 1631–1634. https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2011111078
- Bennett, C.L., Becker, P.S., Kraut, E.H., Samaras, A.T., West, D.P., 2009. Patients with Cancer. Semin Dial 22, 1–4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-139X.2008.00524.x
- Bradley, J.M., Moore, G.R., Brun, N.E. Le, 2017. ScienceDirect Diversity of Fe 2 + entry and oxidation in ferritins. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 37, 122–128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2017.02.027
- Cabrera, V.J., Hansson, J., Kliger, A.S., Finkelstein, F.O., 2017. Evidence-Based Nephrology Symptom Management of the Patient with CKD : The Role of Dialysis. Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 12, 687–693.
- Fadrowski, J.J., Pierce, C.B., Cole, S.R., Moxey-mims, M., Warady, B.A., Furth, S.L., 2008. Hemoglobin Decline in Children with Chronic Kidney Disease : Baseline Results from the Chronic Kidney Disease in Children Prospective Cohort Study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3, 457–462. https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.03020707
- Hasuike, Y., Nonoguchi, H., Tokuyama, M., 2010. Serum ferritin predicts prognosis in hemodialysis patients : the Nishinomiya study. Clin Exp Nephrol 14, 349–355. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10157-010-0288-x
- Hill, N.R., Fatoba, S.T., Oke, J.L., Hirst, J.A., Callaghan, A.O., Lasserson, D.S., Hobbs, F.D.R., 2016. Global Prevalence of Chronic Kidney Disease – A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS One 11, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.5061/dryad.3s7rd.Funding
- Hsu, C., Mcculloch, C.E., Curhan, G.C., 2002. Iron Status and Hemoglobin Level in Chronic Renal Insufficiency. J Am Soc Nephrol 2783–2786. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ASN.0000034200.82278.DC
- Hsu, C.-Y., Bates, D.W., KUPERMAN, G.J., CURHAN, G.C., 2001. Relationship between hematocrit and renal function in men and women. Kidney Int. 59, 725–731.
- Indonesian Renal Registry, 2017. 10 th Report Of Indonesian Renal Registry.
- Kang, H., Linton, J.A., Kwon, S.K., Park, B., Lee, J.H., 2016. Ferritin Level Is Positively Associated with Chronic Kidney Disease in Korean Men , Based on the 2010 – 2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 13, 1058. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13111058
- Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Anemia Work Group, 2012. KDIGO Clinical Practice Guideline for Anemia in Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney Int. Suppl. 2, 279–335.
- Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO), 2018. CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINE FOR THE PREVENTION, DIAGNOSIS, EVALUATION, AND TREATMENT OF HEPATITIS C IN CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE. Kidney Int. Suppl. 8, 91–165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kisu.2018.06.001
- Loréal, O., Cavey, T., Bardou-Jacquet, E., Guggenbuhl, P., Ropert, M., Brissot, P., 2014. Iron , hepcidin , and the metal connection. Front. Pharmacol. 5, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2014.00128
- Padhi, S., Glen, J., Pordes, B.A.J., 2015. Management of anaemia in chronic kidney disease : summary of updated NICE guidance. BMJ 2258, 2–5. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2258
- Prodjosudjadi, W., 2009. End-stage renal disease in Indonesia: treatment development. Ethn. Dis. 19, 33–36.
- Tonelli, M., Muntner, P., Lloyd, A., Manns, B.J., James, M.T., 2013. Using Proteinuria and Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate to Classify Risk in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease. Ann. Intern. Med.
- Tsagalis, G., 2011. Renal Anemia : a Nephrologist ’ s View. Hippokratia 15, 39–43.
- Vadakedath, S., Kandi, V., 2017. Dialysis : A Review of the Mechanisms Underlying Complications in the Management of Chronic Renal Failure. Cureus 9. https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.1603
- Wang, W., Knovich, M.A., Coffman, L.G., Torti, F.M., Torti, S. V, 2010. Serum Ferritin: Past, Present and Future Wei. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1800, 760–769. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2010.03.011.Serum
- Weckmann, G.F.C., Stracke, S., Haase, A., Spallek, J., Ludwig, F., Angelow, A., Emmelkamp, J.M., Mahner, M., Chenot, J., 2018. Diagnosis and management of non-dialysis chronic kidney disease in ambulatory care : a systematic review of clinical practice guidelines. BMC Nephrol. 19, 258.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.