Family Medicine, The Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, Sebelas Maret University
The Effect of Reality Therapy on the Level of Anxiety and Depression in Army Wife
BACKGROUND: Anxiety and depression, are the most common psychopathological symptoms among army wives living in Kopassus (Indonesian army special force) dormitory, with the prevalence of 15-40%. Proper management with reality therapy for anxious and depressed army wives living in Kopassus dormitory is needed.
OBJECTIVE: to determine the effect of reality therapy on anxiety and depression levels in army wives in Kopassus Group 2 dormitory.
METHODS: This study was designed as a randomized control trial pretest and post-test two group design. Sampling was done by simple random technique. Thirty subjects were divided into two groups. Control group received regular interview, while experimental group received reality therapy. Respondents were asked to fill out The Lie Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory questionnaire (L-MMPI), biodata, the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale questionnaire (TMAS), and the Beck Depression Inventory questionnaire (BDI). The Wilcoxon Rank Test and Mann-Whitney were applied for data analysis, with the significance level of p<0.05.
RESULT: The Wilcoxon Rank Test in the TMAS (anxiety) and BDI (depression) showed a significant difference (p<0.05). The Mann-Whitney analysis of the anxiety and depression variables showed a significant difference between the reality therapy group and the control group (regular interview) (p <0.05). The experiment group has a TMAS and BDI score lower than that of the control group.
CONCLUSION: The reality therapy is effective to lower the level of anxiety and depression in army wives.
Keywords: Anxiety;Depression;Army Wife;Reality Therapy
- Corey, G. 2010. Teori dan Praktek Konseling-Psikoterapi. Refika Aditama: Bandung.
- Dispen TNI-AD. 2010. Tantangan dam Kiprah Persit di Satuan Tempur Pasukan Khusus Indonesia. Edisi 8. Jakarta.
- Farmani, F., Taghavi, H., Fatemi, A dan Safavi, S. 2015. The efficacy of group reality therapy on reducing stress, anxiety and depression in patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). International Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences (IJABS). Volume 2, Number 4.
- Gottman JM. 2011. The science of trust: Emotional attunement for couples. New York, NY: Norton Publishing.
- Ghous, M.; Gul, S.; Siddiqi, F.A.; Pervaiz, S. & Bano, S. 2015. Depression; Prevalence soldier wife. Professional Med J 2015;22(2):263-266.
- Howland; Raison, C.L. & Miller, A.H. 2012. Psychoneuroimmunology Meets Neuropsychopharmacology: Translational Implications of the Impact of Inflammation on Behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology Reviews 37, 137–162.
- Kaplan HI and Sadock, BJ., 2015. Psychoterapy,In Kaplan and Sadock Comprehensive Text Book of Psychiatry, the 8 ed. Lippncott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York.
- PDSKJI. 2013. Panduan Gangguan Depresi Mayor. PDSKJI : Jakarta.
- WHO. 2010. Maternal Mortality. Wordl Health Organization.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.