Setyo Trisnadi1 * 1 Forensic Department, Medical Faculty, Sultan Agung Islamic University Semarang Jl. Kaligawe KM 4 Semarang 50012 Telp (+6224) 6583584 Fax (+6224) 6594366 Semarang *Corresponding author, email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Indonesia
A Death of a Man Due to Strong Acid Trauma at a Rice Field, a Homicide or Suicide ?
In general highly corrosive acids or bases injury can occur due to deliberate or unintentional, such as workplace-related accidence, vocational negligence, unintentional child corrosive poisonings. Acids are considered to be corrosive when it has a high concentration, are irritants at moderate concentrations, and stimulant at low concentrations. This is a report of a strong acid poisioning case of a 60 year-old- man found dead in the middle of a rice field in Demak in September 2015. The victim was one of the farmers protesting the illegal dredging project. At the crime scene, a hoe and a bottle made of “plastic” (used fertilizer container, classified as moderate acid) lying beside the deceased, giving an impression that he commited suicide by consuming the liquid. External examination revealed: burn marks are red brown or black, dry and hard on the eyelids, nostrils, lips, tongue, neck and chest. The results of the examination showed: 1. Mucosal irritation, with a bright red and brownish red, accompanied by ulceration. It was also found irritation in tongue, larynx and edemous glottis and esophagus. 2. Pseudomembranous inflammation of the trachea and bronchi which resulted in superficial epithelial damage and necrosis affect submucosal layer. 3. Brain edema due to anoxia. The forensic examination confirms that the cause of death was homicide.
Keywords: Homicide or suicide; strong acids; forensic examination; the cause of death.
- Amit Sharma, Corrosive Acid Poisoning-A Case Report .New Delhi 2011.Available at www.ijfmt.com
- Bagian Kedokteran Forensik Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Indonesia. IlmuKedokteran Forensik. Jakarta: Bagian Kedokteran Forensik Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Indonesia. 1973.Traumatologi Forensik.[citied on Februari 2012]. Available at http://www.wikipedia.com
- Chadha, P.V. Catatan Kuliah Ilmu Forensik Dan Toksikologi.ed 5.Jakarta:Binarupa Aksara.1997
- Dahlan, S. Ilmu Kedokteran Forensik Pedoman Bagi Dokter dan Penegak Hukum.Semarang: Badan Penerbit Universitas Diponegoro. 2002
- Gonzales TA, Vance M, Helpern, Umberger CJ.Legal Medicine Pathology and Toxicologi .2nd edition. New York: Appleton Century Crofts, Inc. 1954
- Neeta Lal, Acid Attacks Still a Burning Issue in India. 2015. Available at http://www.ipsnews.net
- Snepherd R, Simpsons. Forensik Medicine 12th edition.USA: Oxford University Prees.2003
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.