Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Diponegoro/RS National Diponegoro - Indonesia
Sterility of Gauze Packed in One and Three Layer Layer Parchment Paper
Intoduction: Sterile gauze is one of the medical devices that are often used to prevent infection. Several things, one of them is materials for packaging, can affect the sterility of gauze. Parchment paper is one of the packaging materials for sterilization. The study was done to analyze the sterility of gauze packed with parchment paper one layer and three layers on the growth of microorganism.
Method: This study was an experimental study with a quasi-experimental design. Samples were 60 gauze packed with one layer parchment paper and 60 gauze packed with three layers of parchment paper. The sterility of sterile gauze tested at weeks 0, 2 and 4.
Results: There was no significant difference in the sterility of gauze packed with 1 layer of parchment paper on the growth of microorganisms at 0, 2, 4 weeks (p = 0.126). No significant difference in the sterility of sterile gauze packed with 3 layers of parchment paper at 0, 2, 4 weeks (p = 0.675). There was a significant difference in the sterility of sterile gauze packed with parchment paper 1 layer and 3 layers on the growth of microorganisms (p = 0.002).
Conclusion There is a significant difference of sterile gauze packed with parchment paper 1 layer and 3 layers against the growth of microorganisms. The sterility of the packaged sterile gauze with a layer of parchment paper is better than the three layers.
Keywords : sterility; sterile gauze; parchment paper
- Berger, K. & Dodrill, D. 2001. Achieving efficacy and sterility in flexible packaging. Available from: http://www.mddionline.com/article/achieving-efficacy-and-sterility-flexible-packaging [13 December 2015]
- Depkes RI 2009. Pedoman instalasi pusat sterilisasi di rumah sakit. Available from: https://www.scribd.com/doc/125127495/Pedoman-Instalasi-Pusat-Sterilisasi-Central-Sterile-Supply-DepartmentCSSD-Di-Rumah-Sakit-Departemen-Kesehatan-Republik-Indonesia-Jakarta-2009 [11 December 2015]
- Depkes RI 2014. Peraturan Menteri Kesehatan Nomor 4 Tahun 2014 Tentang Cara Distribusi Alat Kesehatan yang Baik . Available from: binfar.kemkes.go.id?wpdmact=process&did=NzAuaG90bGluaw== [11 December 2015]
- Elliot, T., Worthington, T., Osman, H., Gill, M. 2009. Mikrobiologi kedokteran & infeksi 4th ed, Penerbit Buku Kedokteran EGC, Jakarta.
- Gates, R.A. & Fink, R.M. 2008. Oncology nursing secrets, Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia. Available from: Elsevier eBook [12 December 2015]
- Marsh, K. & Bugushu, B. 2007. ‘Food packaging- roles, materials and environmental issues’, Journal of Food Science, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. R39-55. Available from: http://www.ift.org/~/media/Knowledge%20Center/Science%20Reports/Scientific%20Status%20Summaries/FoodPackagingEnviron_0407.pdf [13 December 2015]
- Meah, Y.S., Gliatto, P.M., Ko, F.C., Skovran, D. 2016.’Wound care in home based settings’ in Hayashi, JL, Leff, B (ed) Geriatric Home-Based Medical Care: Principal and Practice, pp. 195. Springer International Publishing AG, Switzerland. Available from: https://books.google.co.id/books?id=LqgvCwAAQBAJ&pg=PR4&dq=Geriatric+Home-Based+Medical+Care:+Principle+and+Practice.+Switzerland:%09Springer+International+Publishing+AG;+2016.&hl=id&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinp4SC_p_PAhXFLmMKHaUvBD8Q6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q=Geriatric%20Home-Based%20Medical%20Care%3A%20Principle%20and%20Practice.%20Switzerland%3A%09Springer%20International%20Publishing%20AG%3B%202016.&f=false [12 December 2015]
- Miller, C. 2015. Infection control: factors influencing the sterilization process. Available from: http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/volume-21/issue-4/columns/infection-control-factors-influencing-the-sterilization-process.html [11 December 2015]
- Price, B.D. & Frey, K. 2004. ‘Asepsis and sterile technique’ in Caruthers,BL, Price, P, Junge, TL (ed) Surgical technology for the surgical technologist: a positive care approach, pp.156-7. Delmar Thomson Learning, New York. Available from: https://books.google.co.id/books?id=NSEMotxySvEC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false [13 December 2015]
- Rutala, W.A. & Weber, D.J. 2008. ‘Disinfection and sterilization in health care facilities: what clinicians need to know’. Clinical Infectious Disease. vol.39, pp.702-9. Available from: cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/5/702.full.pdf [11 December 2015]
- Rutala, W.A., Weber, D.J., HICPAC 2008. Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities. Available from: www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/guidelines/disinfection_nov_2008.pdf [11 December 2015]
- Sihotang, E.T.J. 2009. Uji sterilitas kasa steril yang dikemas dengan plastik dan kertas perkamen dari Apotek "X" di Samarinda Ilir, undergraduate thesis, University of Surabaya.
- Thygerson, A.L., Gulli, B., Piazza, G.R., ACEP, ACSI 2012. First Aid, CPR, and AED Standard 6th ed, Jones &Bartlett Learning, Sudbury, MA. Available from: eBook library [12 December 2015]
- Tsyhykalo, O.V. 2011. Topographical anatomy and operative surgery. Nova Knyha, Ukraine. Available from: eBook library [12 December 2015]
- WHO 2002. Prevention of hospital-acquired infections. Available from: apps.who.int/medicinedocs/documents/s16355e/s16355e.pdf [11 December 2015]
- Yoost, B.L. & Crawford, L.R. 2016. Fundamentals of nursing: active learning for collaborative practice, Elsevier, Missouri. Available from: Elsevier eBook [12 December 2015]
- Yosinaga, M. 2009. Uji sterilitas kasa steril dari Apotek "Z" di Semarang yang telah dibuka kemasan sekundernya dan disimpan selama tiga hari, undergraduate thesis, University of Surabaya.
Metrics powered by PLOS ALM