Laboratory of Clinical Pathology, Hospital Kebumen - Indonesia
Platelet Profile in Patients with Status Asmaticus in Kebumen
BACKGROUND: Asthma has been considered as type 1 hypersensitivity disease, but actually asthma involves a variety of inf lammatory factors.
Based on pro-inf lammatory cells, asthma is classified into eosinophilic, non-eosinophilic, neutrophilic, and non-neutrophilic. Platelet plays a role in pathophysiology of asthma through inf lammation. However, platelet profile in patients with asthma have not been established.
OBJECTIVE: to determine the platelet indices of patients with status asmaticus of different phenotypes.
METHODS: a cross-sectional study was conducted among a minimum sample size of 67 patients. Data were collected from medical records of patients in RSUD Kebumen. Platelet indices included mean platelet volume (MPV), platelet distribution width (PDW), and plateletcrit (PCT).
RESULTS: There was no significant difference in the value of MPV and PDW in patients with eosinophilic and neutrophilic asthma (p> 0.05). But,
there was a significant difference in PCT between the two groups (P <0.05)
CONCLUSION: There was difference only in plateletcrit (PCT) between patients with eosinophilic and netrophilic asthma.
Keywords : Asthma;platelets;MPV;PDW;PCT
- Akpinar, I. et al., (2014) Plateletcrit and red cell distribution width are independent predictors of the slow coronary flow phenomenon. Journal of Cardiology, 63(2), pp.112–118. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2013.07.010.
- Athari, S.S. & Athari, S.M., (2014) The importance of eosinophil, platelet and dendritic cell in asthma. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, 4, pp.S41–S47.
- Balduini, C.L. & Noris, P., (2014) Platelet count and aging. Haematologica, 99(6), pp.953–955.
- Btech, V.V.,(2015) Inhibition of eosinophil apoptosis by asthma-relevant cytokines from platelets. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 136(4), p.1134. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2015.06.025.
- Buyukyilmaz, G. et al., (2014) Platelet aggregation, secretion, and coagulation changes in children with asthma. Blood Coagulation & Fibrinolysis, 25(7), pp.738–744. Available at: http://content.wkhealth.com/linkback/openurl?sid=WKPTLP:landingpage&an=00001721-201410000-00016.
- Chaudhuri, R. et al., (2016) Effects of older age and age of asthma onset on clinical and inflammatory variables in severe refractory asthma. Respiratory Medicine, 118, pp.46–52. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2016.07.005.
- Chung, A.S. & Ferrara, N., (2011) Developmental and Pathological Angiogenesis. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, 27(1), pp.563–584. Available at: http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-cellbio-092910-154002 [Accessed October 6, 2016].
- Correia Junior, M.A. de V. et al., (2017) Lower prevalence and greater severity of asthma in hot and dry climate. Jornal de Pediatria, 93(2), pp.148–155. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002175571630095X [Accessed October 6, 2016].
- Ergelen, M. & Uyarel, H., (2014) Plateletcrit: A novel prognostic marker for acute coronary syndrome. International Journal of Cardiology, 177(1), p.161. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.09.054.
- Ergül, A.B. et al., (2016) Reduction in mean platelet volume in children with acute bronchiolitis. Turk Pediatri Arsivi, 51(1), pp.40–45.
- Fahy, J. V, (2009) Eosinophilic and neutrophilic inflammation in asthma: insights from clinical studies. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, 6(3), pp.256–259.
- Gorczynski, R. & Stanley, J., (2013) Clinical immunology 1st ed., Texas: Vademecum.
- Hansbro, N.G. et al., (2008) Understanding the mechanisms of viral induced asthma: New therapeutic directions. Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 117(3), pp.313–353.
- Harkness, L.M. et al., (2014) Pulmonary vascular changes in asthma and COPD. Pulmonary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 29(2), pp.144–155.
- Harkness, L.M., Ashton, A.W. & Burgess, J.K., (2015) Asthma is not only an airway disease, but also a vascular disease. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 148, pp.17–33. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2014.11.010 [Accessed October 4, 2016].
- Hoffman, R., (2013) Hematology basic principles and practice, Saunders/Elsevier.
- Lieberman, P. & Anderson, J. a, (2007) Allergic Diseases: Diagnosis and Treatment 1st ed., New Jersey: Humana Press.
- Lukawska, J.J. et al.,(2014) Imaging Inflammation in Asthma: Real Time, Differential Tracking of Human Neutrophil and Eosinophil Migration in Allergen Challenged, Atopic Asthmatics in Vivo. EBioMedicine, 1(2), pp.173–180.
- McCallister, J.W. et al., (2013) Sex differences in asthma symptom profiles and control in the American Lung association asthma clinical research centers. Respiratory Medicine, 107(10), pp.1491–1500. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2013.07.024.
- Mehta, A.B. & Hoffbrand, A.V., 2014. Haematology at a Glance,
- Nacaroglu, H.T. et al., 2016. Can mean platelet volume be used as a biomarker for asthma? Postepy Dermatologii i Alergologii, 33(3), pp.182–187.
- Panek, M. et al., (2016. The epidemiology of asthma and its comorbidities in Poland – Health problems of patients with severe asthma as evidenced in the Province of Lodz. Respiratory Medicine, 112, pp.31–38.
- Selge, C. et al., 2016. Asthma prevalence in German Olympic athletes: A comparison of winter and summer sport disciplines. Respiratory Medicine, 118, pp.15–21.
- Shah, S.A., Page, C.P. & Pitchford, S.C., 2017. Platelet–Eosinophil Interactions As a Potential Therapeutic Target in Allergic Inflammation and Asthma. Frontiers in Medicine, 4(August). Available at: http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmed.2017.00129/full.
- Somuk, B.T. et al., 2014. Mean platelet volume as an inflammatory marker of chronic otitis media with effusion. International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology, 78(11), pp.1958–60. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25200601.
- Sun, W.X. et al., 2014. A decreased mean platelet volume is associated with stable and exacerbated asthma. Respiration, 88(1), pp.31–37.
- Tauro, S. et al., 2008. Molecular and cellular mechanisms in the viral exacerbation of asthma. Microbes and Infection, 10(9), pp.1014–1023.
- Tekçe, B.K. et al., 2015. The Role of Platelet Indices in Determining Atopy in Childhood Asthma. Gaziantep Medical Journal, 21(3), p.1. Available at: http://www.scopemed.org/?mno=179793.
- Temprano, J. & Mannino, D.M., 2009. The effect of sex on asthma control from the National Asthma Survey. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 123(4), pp.854–860. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2008.12.009.
- Theml, H., Diem, H. & Haferlach, T., 2004. Color Atlas of Hematology,
- Tuncel, T. et al., 2012. Change of mean platelet volume values in asthmatic children as an inflammatory marker. Allergologia et Immunopathologia, 40(2), pp.104–107.
- Tural Kara, T., Yilmaz Özbek, Ö. & Tahire Köksal, B., 2015. Evaluation of Platelet Activation During an Asthmatic Attack in Children. Turkish Journal of Pediatric Disease, 2, pp.84–9. Available at: http://tchdergisi.org/index.php/tchd/article/view/755.
- Uğur, M. et al., 2014. The independent association of plateletcrit with long-term outcomes in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Journal of Critical Care, 29(6), pp.978–981.
- Vagdatli, E. et al., 2010. Platelet distribution width: A simple, practical and specific marker of activation of coagulation. Hippokratia, 14(1), pp.28–32.
- Walsh, G.M., 2000. Eosinophil apoptosis: Mechanisms and clinical relevance in asthmatic and allergic inflammation. British Journal of Haematology, 111(1), pp.61–67.
- Wiwanitkit, V., 2004. Plateletcrit, Mean Platelet Volume, Platelet Distribution Width: Its Expected Values and Correlation With Parallel Red Blood Cell Parameters. Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, 10(2), pp.175–178. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15094938.